Thursday

Vanilla Buttermilk Cake

I had my Birthday in June. The reason for this vital piece of information is that I got the girls best friend


No diamonds silly, but a Kitchen Aid stand mixer...Its a dream come true...I had dreamt  a lott about owning a kitchen aid. I had heard an old maid's tale, that if you stay long with a person, you kind of read their minds...On my birthday, I had mentioned to one of my cool blogger friends, about how getting a kitchen aid stand mixer as a gift would be the COOLEST gift I could ever receive...I was at work on my Birthday, so evening I went home, had  small party with a friends family, cut the cake, ate dinner and slept...NO gifts were ever exchanged on that day.....I was a little happy and little sad that day..Happy coz I was blessed in so many ways, my Friend visited in spite of being a work day, got me my favourite treat, happy because my family arranged for the wonderful party, every year I bake my own birthday cake, but this year the LIFE got better than me, so I could not bake any cake, seeing this Mr. Ash got an ice-cream cake on his way home...Sad because I really wanted  a GIFT....We don't do  chocolates and Flowers.. we are not romantic in that way..old couple express their love and feelings through yummies in the tummies....all our celebrations start with what to cook and what to eat...when planning any vacation, we search for hotel, points of interest and points of vegetarian food joints...30% of my luggage is food any given time and place we are visiting...even while travelling back home...even when the airline keeps serving food at odd times and irrespective of the times they serve the food, I WILL ALWAYS CARRY FOOD WITH ME....There I said it, now all is fine with my world....

 Coming back to this recipe.. I was attractedd to this rec. because it had Oil and Buttermilk, this is my version of a healthy cake as it has no butter, oil is still ok, for me.. and I had never ever baked with Buttermilk before..intresting combination, calls for immediate efforts.. This is so far the best cake I have ever baked, I am replacing my old vanilla cake and sticking to this one form now on.. thanks again Gloria for this wonderful treat...now would you like to share a piece of the cake with me...


So you liked it and want the rec...humm...what a girl to do???

here you go;

The recipe is as follows, if you are tired of blogwalking; I understand, it can get tiring if you are at it for a while...

Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes



Recipe by Glorious Treats

Yields- 15-16 cupcakes



1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup oil (vegetable, canola or extra light olive oil)
1/2 cup buttermilk

(or 1/2 cup milk plus 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice- add acid to the milk then set aside for 5 minutes before using)


Directions-

 Preheat oven to 350*F. In a medium bowl, add cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir together with whisk, and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, add eggs and beat 10-20 seconds. Add sugar and continue to beat on medium speed about 30 seconds. Add vanilla and oil, beat. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture. Add half of the milk, then the rest of the flour and the rest of the milk. Beat until just combined. Scrap down the side of the bowl. The batter will be thin. Pour batter into a muffin pan prepared with paper liners. Fill liners about 2/3 full.

Bake cupcakes in pre-heated oven for 12-14 minutes. Cool in pan 1-2 minutes, then remove cupcakes from pan (carefully) and finish cooling on a wire rack. Frost as desired when fully cool.


* Feel free to use this recipe for a cake as well. The recipe above will work for a 6" cake. Double the recipe for an 8" or 9" cake.

* A note about Cake Flour- Cake Flour has a lower protein content than traditional all-purpose flour, which results in a more tender, delicate crumb in the finished product. If you can not find or access cake flour, feel free to substitute as necessary, but your results will vary from the original recipe.


Note from Ash;

 This is a very safe rec.. as it did not fail all three times I tried it.. this cake tasted better the next day and I did add more sugar as I did not frost the cake the first 2 times I baked it. The Third time I baked it, I frosted with chocolate ganache, which is in the following post.
Now, go and make your own and enjoii with your loved ones and friends. Life is short so make most of it when you get a chance. Do not wait for birthdays or special occassions to show your family that you love them, it can be shown in many ways everyday...by showing that you CARE is really all it takes!!!

Love Ash.



6 comments:

Manasi said...

Lucky lucky gal!!! A kitchen maid ! that would've made my day :))
I'll try this cake soon, i wanted to make it today, but am also expecting a cousin next week so am in 2 minds..... hmmm, maybe one more round then! S will like it, i think i'll bake it today.
Oh, question, can i somehow make this a chocolate cake? a friends son is finicky, likes only chocolate! i'd like to put a twist and manage that.

Unknown said...

Thanks Manasi,
You can try to frost this with chcolate ganache or if that will not be ok for your frnds son, try adding 1/4cup cocoa powder to the flour, take 1/4cup flour out of the measure of flour asked in the rec and add the cocoa powder making it total of 1 and 1/4 cup flour. I usually do that anytime I convert a plain cake into a chocolate cake...sift the flour and cocoa powder always though..
Another way is when you are pouring it into the cake pan, fill half with the cake mixture, then pour cocolate sauce over that and then pour remaining cake mix and then with a skewer simply make swirls, will give it a marble cake effect...
Love Ash.

chef and her kitchen said...

Looks very nice n delicious n yumm

Unknown said...

Thanks Prathibha.

Avika J Chawla said...

Thanks for sharing a nice recipe n lucky u got ur kitchen aid...looks yum yum...

Unknown said...

Thanks Avika. Owning a kitchen aid has been on my wishlist for a minimum of 5 yrs now...