Wednesday

Flax Seed Chutney-Javsachi chutney.



Hello Dearies!!! As the year 2013 started I have been striving to strike a balance between regular posting, posting healthy recipes and also about going back to my roots, cooking my moms recipes. Back home, we never had multi Vitamins, food was designed to do its job, We never heard of Omega 3 vitamins, Fish Oil supplements and so on.We had different kinds of chutneys some dry some wet to take care of that. One that featured quite regularly in winters was Flax Seeds or Javasachi chutney. I must admit that I for one never liked this chutney and it was a good fight with my mom, that made her promise few not so regular demands for me to eat this. Now things have changed. I have been reading about certain foods, and adopting them in our diet. One major change you will find this year is use of good grains like Quinoa. I am developing our naive taste buds to adopt the tastes of these foods. Food should be healthy and equally tasty to derive maximum benefit from them. The more I read about some foods, the more I am fascinated with the benefits. Why spend  hundreds of $$ and  mending the monthly budget on expensive multi vitamins, when these wonders exist in our pantries. Most rice recipes can be tweaked to suit with Quinoa. Some experiments I am trying is making Rajma Quinoa and so on. Keep an eye out as with my erratic posting, you might miss that out. I am trying real hard to be back on track, but the limes and oranges that Life is throwing at me, I cannot do much but expect delays.


Flax Seeds Info


Some of the potential health benefits of flax seeds that have been reported:

· Increased energy, vitality, and stamina
· Increased sense of calmness under stress
· Reduced threat of blood clots
· Protection against cancers, particularly hormone sensitive cancers such as
  breast and prostate
· Lowered blood cholesterol levels
· Lowered high blood pressure
· Better regulation of blood sugar levels
· Eases inflammatory tissue conditions, including arthritis
· Alleviation of dry skin, eczema and psoriasis
· Enhanced immune system
· Increased metabolic rate with a positive impact on weight management
· Helps with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
· Natural laxative

Do you need any more reasons to make and try this chutney today? It is ready in less than 10 minutes and stays good at room temperature for more than one month. The ways to eat it is on buttered bread, or with rice or in any curry or over dosa or pancake. Or simple mix in yogurt for a ready dip.


You will neeed;

1 cup roasted Flax Seeds
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp Cumin seeds/ jeera
2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tspn dry mango powder
pinch of sugar
Salt to taste

In wok, dry roast the flax seeds, they will change their red color and turn slightly black. The color and the aroma will tell you when they are roasted.  In a blender jar, I use magic bullet, Combine all the above and pulse till the seeds crumbs, you are not looking for a butter here, so crumbs is fine. This is all there is to make this beauty.  There are also few complex recipes that do require some amount of efforts, but since this is a fast age, we are going to learn some fast fast recipes.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Manasi said...

I have always loved chutneys and podis. These were a regular at our Kannadiga- Marathi home!
I love dry podis mixed with either yogurt or a bit of oil with bhakri. I have a lot of Flaxseed at home, whole and milled. Will make this.

I plan on working towards healthier food this year, just like you. I must admit, I find it difficult ( not to make, but to eat well consistently) I am SO prone to binges of junk food and desserts!
Just today morning I was thinking, it's been a while since I made pizza, sigh! here we go , again...

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

This is such a super power food, I love this on hot bhakri, with toop or dahi!! Simply delicious, am so glad you are including more health food in everyday diet!

Ansh| Spiceroots said...

Oh deliciously done!! this is a must have in the pantry :D

Priya Suresh said...

Wat a healthy chutney, have to give a try.

Subhie Arun said...

informative post..healthy chutney..frst time here..lov ur collections..hapi to follow u...glad if u do the same!

http://subhieskitchen.blogspot.co.uk/