Thursday

Alu Wadi/Patra with Collard Greens



Hello Dearies!! Today is the 10th day of the new year, Wow.. How time swifts by,  The anticipation of the holidays, new year resolutions just seems like yesterday. Time they say waits for no one, not even God Almighty. What you have is Now, so life live fully, have no grudges or regrets at the end; is one formula I am trying to live by. Life is also about learning. From old mistakes, repeated lessons and from people. As I grow older, I am realizing the things that were taught to us when we were very young, that each person comes in your life for a purpose, some to hurt you, so you know what is pain is, some to help you, so you know what learning is and some to keep you happy. I also have been blessed with few close friends, they are my everyday friends with whom I talk on the net via chat or on phone. I realized that friendships need not be about meeting in person and sharing a cup of coffee, it can be beautiful even if we are connected mentally. The feeling that someone somewhere has you in her thoughts keeps me going in a very positive way.

The story of aluwadi and collard greens is also such a lesson. I was speaking to Neelam of Kane's Coop, and mentioned to her how Munchkin has  a developed a sudden fondling to Aluwadi/patra, a typical maharahstrian dish and how my struggle with Colocasia  (Alu leaves) fails me each and every time. Colocassia leave s if not handled properly leave a  very scratchy feeling in the throat. IT has to be balanced with correct amount of sourness. Last few attempts left me with either very sour alu wadis or very scratchy ones. She told me that she has not yet made alu wadi with those leaves, but uses Collard greens instead as Indian store is not easily accessible to her. What brains to even think that. I owe this recipe to her culinary skills.




 You will need;

10-12 Collard Green leaves.
2 cups Besan                             
1/2 cup Rice flour                      
1 tsp Coriander/Dhania powder            
1 tsp Cumin/Jeera powder               
2 tsp Red Chilli/Cayenne powder        
1 tbsp White sesame seeds             
1 tbsp Tamarind pulp-- I used Tamicon             
1/2 cup Jaggery                           
Salt according to taste

Oil for frying



Wash the leaves and clean the leaves with clean cloth. Set Aside. Sort the leaves with similar size and shape. In a bowl mix the jaggery and the tamarind pulp, add little water if using concentrate. Mix all the ingredients in jaggery and tamarind pulp. Add enough water to make a thick paste which can be spread easily. Cut the stems off the greens and if the vein is hard, roll and crush it down with a pastry roller/Belan/latna. Place one leaf face down in a clean plate. Spread besan mixture over a leaf in a thin layer. Place another leaf in the opposite direction over this leaf. Repeat the same process for 5-6 leaves. Fold in the edges along the length and roll like a log. Repeat same process with the rest 5-6 leaves. Use enough paste to seal the loose ends. Steam both rolls for 15 minutes in a cooker without pressure. Allow to cool completely. Cut into slices and deep fry in oil.. Enjoy the alu wadi with some simple varan bhat (Dal Rice) and tup/Ghee.



Photobucket

5 comments:

divya said...

Yummy !!! Please pass me some :-)

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

I dont get alu chi pane so easily in Bangalore.. so I always have them when i go home... miss miss these yummm bites

Manasi said...

I get ALuchi Paney here, but they are old and rather expensive.
I love ALu wadi and now I am itching to try collard greens :)

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

wow very beautiful....well presented n yummy

Unknown said...

This is my favorite recipe. I am drooling right now.