Saturday

Fusion Instant Handvo with Quinoa and Flax seeds

 
Hello Dearies!!!! The new year has started with some healthy and unique ways. Quinoa had been on my wish list since long, I got the packet from BJ's, but never got around to making anything. The healthy talk around me about super food quinoa intrigued me, till I saw Manasi of Cook@ Heart make Quinoa Falafel. This got me thinking, if she can make burgers, maybe I can replace it in any rice or rava recipes. Ha Ha... I tried my hand at Instant handvo. Since Munchkin does not like any strings in his food, and he gets suspicious of my tricks, I had to puree the bottle gourd, an imp ingredient in making handvo. But what I got instead was pure bliss. The sourness of the yogurt was balanced with fullness of rava and quinoa. The traces of any bottle gourd were masked with taste and texture. I did not use any water as I had used some to puree the bottle gourd. The addition of the flax seeds with the sesame seeds give it a nice crunch. I am waiting to twist so many of traditional rava recipes, that I might stop buying sooji or rava. I love you Quinoa!!!!

Another major change I did to my diet, was to add half a cup of cooked quinoa to my dinner. I enjoyed it with lentil soup one day and sort of made an instant chili, had it with some chopped peppers and made quick salad. Either ways I liked the nuttyness and the fact that it made me FULL to the brim. IT fills you up guys, so if eating and craving food is the only hurdle in your portion eating, you might like to try adding this to your meal.

You will need;

 1 cup cooked Quinoa
**To cook Quinoa, wash the grains in 4-5 changes of water, this will help remove the bitterness, alternatively soak in water, but I find the washing better in removing the bitterness.
1/2 cup Coarse sooji/rava
1/2 cup Yogurt
2 cups Bottle Gourd/doodhi Puree
1/2 cup Besan/Chick pea flour
1/2 tsp Citric Acid
Salt to taste
1 tsp Green chili paste
1 tsp Ginger grated
1 tsp Red chili/cayenne Powder
1 tspn Cumin powder
1 tspn Corriande powder
1 tbspn Flax seeds
 1 tbspn ENO fruit salt

 Tempering;

5 Tbspn Oil
1 tbspn Mustard seeds
1 tbspn Cumin/Jeera seeds
3 Tbspn sesame seeds
5-7 curry leaves
1 tspn aesofodita/hing
1tspn Haldi/Turmeric

In a wok, mix the rava/sooji and the cooked quinoa, add in the besan and all the dry ingredients and spices, salt, citric acid red chili and flax seeds, mix well and then add the yogurt and the Bottle gourd puree and mix well. We need a flowing consistency, so adjust water. I did not need any, as I used little to puree the bottle gourd. Stir well and last lastly prepare the tempering. In a wok, take the oil, when it smokes, reduce the heat and add the tempering ingredients in the similar order. Pour half of the tempering into the batter, stir wekll and add the ENO fruit salt and stir once. Lastly  prepare the pans for baking. Oil spray two laof pans and pour the mixture and add the rest of the tempering over the batter and bake in a pre heated oven at 350 degree for 30-40 minutes. Enjoy this healthy snack with a cup of chai or just as is.

 I did not bake it till the edges browned. I was marketing this handvo to my kids as some sort of savoury cake. reason was that Donut heard my talk with Mr.Ash wherein I told him I am baking an healthy handvo, which was promptly communicated to munchkin as "she is making that string cake again!!!!!!!!!!"..YIKESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

So I kind of changed my story as this is no handvo, handvo is round, see I baked a loaf of some other healthy stuff, which not only tastes good but is actually good for all!!!


Photobucket

6 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

looks fabulous and healthy Ash

divya said...

mouthwatering presentation, so tempting!!!

Manasi said...

String cake! hahahahahahahahaha!
I like th substitutions u have mad. My recipe ( if I can find the pictures is from a friend's mom) Hope I can put up my version of the string cake soon. :)

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

He ekdam innovative ahe, I would have never thought of making this substitution. these twists make daily mundane cooking so much more fun!

Priya Suresh said...

Beautifully done, who can resist to this wonderful and delicious handvo.

provoqd said...

Hi Ashwini,

Wow, that's a lovely recipe for Handvo. I love Gujarati recipes, especially the snacks.

Thanks for sharing the recipe with all of us :)

Regards

Jay
My Newest Blog Post | My Entry to Indiblogger Get Published