Monday

Aloo Paratha-Spcied Potato Flat Bread

 Hello Sweeties!! Today I bring to you from my kitchen hot hot aloo paratha. My kids swear by these and till recently I heard my younger Munchkin explain his friend that his mom cannot make aloo paratha and how lucky his friend is to enjoy them at home. It is an all time favorite and  you would seriously doubt if they are born in maharashtrain homes  for all they love is spicy punjabi food. The same levels of spice bothers them and they run with open mouths on fire with marathi food, but bring on tangy chole and spicy  parathas, and there is nothing but absolute bliss on their faces. I messed up many times on aloo parathas. every few weeks I make up my mind and gather all courage to make them for my kids. I follow the recipe to the T, change the type of potatoes every now and then, to see if there is a problem with the starch, but hell no, nothing ever comes to calling it a an aloo paratha. Most often it gets changed to making patties or batata wada. I even consoled myself that not all things are easy for all, I can make most difficult dishes so not being able to roll out a simple aloo paratha does not make me less. But all these thoughts changed yesterday when I rolled out not one but 7-8 parathas with ease and no hassle. The buns for burgers were also ready  just in case I messed up and goofed again. Always have a  'Plan B' when dinner is a short notice away. Hopefully the jinx is lifted and my donuts will be able to enjoy the aloo aprathas at their homes too now.


 For the stuffing;
2 medium boiled potato mashed
1 tspn crushed garlic
1 tspn red Chili/Cayenne powder
1 tspn Cilantro chopped
salt to taste
1tspn Garam masala

Mix the potato, garlic, cilantro, garam masala, red chili/cayenne powder and salt,  to make it into a soft pliable dough. Keep aside.

 For cover;
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tspn salt
1 tbspn oil
water as needed to knead into a soft dough

In a bowl, mix the oil and salt and water and knead into a soft pliable dough.


Making the parathas,
1. Make equal size balls of the cover and stuffing
2. Roll a small round of the cover and put the stuffing in it and fold from all sides and roll that in some flour, dust the rolling surface with some flour and
3. Roll into a small round roti or paratha.

Heat a pan/skillet/tawa and roast it on both sides applying little oil or ghee on it . When it gets cooked, serve with yogurt/pickle/ketchup or sour cream., salad or just enjoy these with hot chai.





Photobucket

4 comments:

Anjali Bapna Shukla said...

Ash, what have you reminded me of here now!
I just can't take my eyes off from that scrumptious plate... :)

Manasi said...

I don't know of one person who dislikes Aloo paratha!
Makes such a good meal/ lunch box/ picnic food.
I have a look of bliss on my face, much like ur li'll ones when I am eating aloo parathas :)

Priya Suresh said...

Healthy and my kind of food,love this parathas very much.

Teena said...

Looks perfectly made & healthy too!!!