Wednesday

Happy Dasra- Celebrating with Amrakhand-Mango Shrikhand


*Fortunate is the one
Who has learned to admire, But not to envy.
Good wishes for a joyous Dassera,

With a plenty of peace and prosperity.*

Hello Sweeties!!!! Happy Dasera to you and your loved ones. Dasera is the 10th day of Navratri, which is celebrated as good wiping out the evil in our minds and deeds. We celebrate any festivals with a sweet and the whole nine yards through Food. In India garlands of marigold flowers are used to decorate our home entrances, called torans. Cars/Vehicles are worshiped, smaller garlands are hung on the bonnets and small puja is performed  for safe travel and life of the auto. OH How badly I miss my days in Bombay during such times. But one thing is constant with me where ever I may go, is that Food Memory will be along with me all the time. I always try to make some sort of sweet whenever we have  special days and nothing speaks celebrating to me like sugar does. "Kuch meeth ho jaye"( Translates to how about some sweet?), is my favorite term. I make shrikhand often, but my kids have taken a fancy to mango now, I made amrakhand which is nothing but mango shrikhand.



You will need;


2 lb hung yogurt;
**I get the 2 lb greek yogurt box and tie it in  a cotton cloth over  banana holder and let the whey drip overnight., the chakkka/hung yogurt is ready to be made into some shrikhand.
1 cup sugar
1 cup mango puree(I used store brought)
1tbspn nuts powder or milk masala
1tsp Elaichi or cardamom powder.

The hung yogurt can be sieved or used without sieving.  In a bowl, take the sieved hung yougurt/chakka, Mix in the sugar, mango puree,nuts powder and mix well. The shrikhand is ready to be served with piping hot pooris. But since we are not into frying foods at home now, for health reasons, we had this with phulka, i,.e puffed roti,



Photobucket

3 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Soo irresistible and one of my favourite amrakhand.

Manasi said...

Oh Lord! How I Lurve Amrakhanda! I still remember the first taste in my childhood, so very addictive.
I love how thick and creamy your amrakhanda looks:)
HAppy Dasra to you and the family!

divyagcp said...

Rich and delicious dessert.. Very Festive!!

Divya's Culinary Journey