Monday

Bhindi Masala- Okra stir fried with Indian spices


Hello Dearies!!! When I was making the recipe index for indulge, I realized that I for some reason do not have  the everyday home cooked recipes on the blog. I cook one and half times everyday. Excuse me, you do not know what one and half times cooking is, let me explain, I cook full fledged dinner every evening, leftovers are our lunch, our meaning Mr and Ms Ash's. Kids lunch I cook every day in the morning. There you have it, cooking one and half times. So I make these subji's or veggies regularly one because being a vegetarian family, we eat veggies like goats, be it greens, lentils or simple veggies. I try and make the everyday veggies not so boring by changing few spices and techniques of cooking.Similarly so, sometimes chopping the veggies takes them to a different level. The okra or bhindi I got at my grocers was small and thin as compared to the fat ones I have been always buying. They were young and carefree so to say with very less stickiness or glue to them. This seemed perfect to try some stir fry with spices on them. Thew spice blend is very easy essentially only 4 major spices.

You will need;
1.5 lb okra- small and young slit in between after discarding the tops
1 big onion thinly sliced
Salt to taste
Cilantro to garnish

Spices
1 tspn Cayenne chili powder
1 tspn turmeric/haldi
1 tspn Dry Mango powder/Amchur
1 tspn Garam Masala

Tempering;
2 tbspn oil
1 tspn dry garlic powder or use 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped fine

Heat the oil in a wok, add the thinly sliced onions, and saute for a minute, add in the dry garlic powder, than add in the slit okra and saute for a minute. Add the amchur/dry mango powder and cook the okra for 5-7 mins. Lastly add in the spices and salt and stir well. Cook till the okra gets cooked. Lastly add in the garam masala and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with roti, naan or with rice and dal/ or ambat varan..

This is what screams comfort food for us, what is your comfort food. you might travel the world, enjoy the finest dining experience yet there is something about the home and  simple food, that kinds of de stresses you and makes you go strong in your faith and beliefs.

This is also something that we bloggers cherish and appreciate the time and efforts that our friends shower us with. Gauri of the Runner Girl in the kitchen showered Indulge with. One lovely blog award. Thanks and we truly appreciate it.


The rules are easy to follow.


The Rules for the award are
  • Share it with 15 other friends
  • Write 7 things about you
  • Don't forget to inform the person whom you have awarded by leaving a comment in their space
 
 I have already been tagged before in a similar tag, so answering the same questions again, I might quickly do a recap now. 

I am shy of naming 15, so this award is for all my lovely friends. Pleas efeel free to collect the award from me.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Manasi said...

Love it! I am a big, big okra fan. Always have been.That surprises my family and friends, specially since I have this texture whim.
Simple stir fry like this, gravy, stuff, love it all:)

Unknown said...

Ahhh.. every food is most filling and satisfying :)
Nice recipe make it mostly in the similar way :)
Thanks for accepting and sharing the award!

Blackswan said...

Congrats on the award, Ash! I like Okra too, often cooking it with chilli. This is a wonderful alternative.

Priya Suresh said...

Super flavourful bhindi masala,inviting.

virunthu unna vaanga said...

so yumm...
Today's Recipe - Bhel Puri Chaat- SNC No-1
Join in my first event - FEAST FOR YOUR GURU
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA