Thursday

Raddish-Spinach Dal- Mulyachi Palak dal


Hi everyone. i am back again being the mom I am; sneaking all kinds of veggies in our food in one way or other. My younger son is in protest mode again. He simply refuses to put a morsel of veggies in his mouth. Its a battle and even Mr. Ash has kind of accepted defeat with him. So it's up to me and my antics to get him eat veggies in any way or form. I take challenges well and execute them equally well.. I make dal/amti almost 3 times a week. It's plain dal or varan on one day and amti on other. The real thing is balancing likes and dislikes between 2 kids.My elder son loves plain dal with ghee and little salt and younger one loves it with tadka and garlic.. loads of garlic fried in oil. To solve this puzzle, Ms. Ash decided that it will be Varan on day 1 and amti or tadka dal on day 2. Alls well that ends well.


You will need;
1 cup cooked Toor Dal or Pigeon Peas/Arhar dal --
**while cooking add 1/2 tsp Turmeric and pinch of hing. I generally pressure cook dal before hand. A couple of whistles in a pressure cooker does the trick to a mushy dal.
1/2 cup washed and chopped spinach
1/2 small Radish or around 8-10 thinly sliced discs of Radish 
1 tspn jaggery
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp red chili powder (cayenne pepper powder)
1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
1 tsp Cumin+Coriander powder
1tsp lime juice
2 cups water


Tadka/Tempering
1 tsp oil
1tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin
1 pinch hing/aesafodita
1-2 cloves garlic--Optional


In a pot, take the oil and on medium heat add the mustard seeds and cumin. Let it sizzle and then add the hing, garlic and then the chopped spinach and radish discs. Once the spinach wilts a little add the cooked dal and water, add the red chili/cayenne pepper powder, salt and jaggery. Let it come to a boil. Then add the garam masala powder, cumin+coriander powder and lastly the lime juice. Reduce heat to low and cook covered for 5 minutes and the dal is ready to be served with rice or phulka.

** when serving to picky eaters like my younger donut, I give him only the dal with spinach. He does not see the radish so no complaint on that part.


Hope you make this soon and loads of good health and healthy dishes on Indulge coming soon.

Sharing this with Sudha's event; Love for lentils 












Photobucket




12 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Super tempting dal, makes me hungry..well done dear.

Square Meals said...

Good one! Will definitely try this :-)

Aparna from Square Meals

Unknown said...

i never put radish in dal...I do make spinach dal and make radish sambar :)...this is something new...maybe should try it together!

Vardhini said...

My all time favorite is dal. Nice combo of radish and spinach.

I do have a few pav bhaji recipes linked, so you could link those to the cauliflower event if interested.

Vardhini
Event: New "U" - Healthy Eats
Event: Healing Foods - Cauliflower

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Delicious comfort food. Regarding your comment on the pan. I used the appe pan only and the Aebleskiver Pan is something similar to this, but nicely finished with wooden handles etc.

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Delicious preparation...Never tried both together...

Gauri Trivedi said...

Never tried radish and spinach together in a dal...wonderful recipe.

Manasi said...

i'm like ur little donut, leave the radish out, please!!!
but I do like spinach daal:)

Santosh Bangar said...

addtion of raddish is new idea

Sudha said...

This is a lovely dal preparation,Ash!Thanks so much for linking up - you've lent me a helping hand in my mission to spread word about the importance of lentils in our daily diet:)I really appreciate it!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

sounds healthy & tasty
Tasty Appetite

Unknown said...

Hi Ash, First time here - hopped over from a friends blog :) You've got a nice space here - and I look forward to following your posts - Hope you will stop by mine and check it out too :) cheers,
Priya