Tuesday

Brown Rice-Moong Dal Khichadi


Holidays bring along with it the sweets, bakes and likes. It's the time when we stuff ourselves with the evils of sugar and butter and give a hoot about the weight, after all its only one time in a year. Around New years we find ourselves make new resolutions to lose that weight, eat healthy and stay fit. Something like this happens to me all the time. so if you are like me, stick around and I will show you slowly but steadily what changes I am making to our food habits and trying to keep up with the promise I made to myself to eat wise and stay wiser. First change I am making is in rice.  I switched the Rice with Brown Rice.We are so used to white rice that the any changes in mere color of the rice alarms us. But I have started using Brown rice in any rice preparation that does not include eating it alone.But  if I am making any dal or curry, I make some brown rice along with it. We are still not 100% sure of giving up dal chawal  using brown rice instead of white, so will continue using white rice for that purpose only.

Brown Rice-Moong dal  Khichadi with veggie's and hot Kadhi are my passport to heaven. They are my chicken soup on cold days kind of comfort food.It gives me unexplainable pleasure to post this recipe for my young bachelor friends as this recipe can be twisted and turned as per what you have on hand. The main ING being Mood Dal and Rice.. To add to the health content I use Green Split Moog Dal, as the husk from the lentils gives it the fiber, we lack so much in vegetarian food.Try this hot hot khichadi with Kadhi on any rainy stormy or snowy day....roasted papad or some chips on the side and you are in HEAVEN.............it is that relaxinggggggggggggggggg

You will need; for two ppl
1 cup Brown Rice ..washed
3/4th cup Moog dal .. washed
1 cup Veggies- Mix of peas/corn/beans/anything you have on hand if nothing; tastes equally better without any veggies
few Curry leaves
2 green chillies
1tspn coriander powder
1tspn cumin powder
1 tspn ginger/garlic paste
jaggery or1 tsp sugar and salt to taste
Oil and things for Tadka

3 cups hot water

--In a wok, heat some oil, add the mustard seeds,cumin, hing, green chilies, ginger/garlic paste, curry leaves and let it splutter, then add turmeric powder then the veggies...fry for few minutes, then add the rice and dal and roast the mix for 5 mins... then add the hot water and salt and some jaggery/sugar, add the coriander and cumin powder stir once and cover and let cook for abt 15-20 mins...my rice cooker has  a setting to cook brown rice in 20 mins, or soak the rice for few minutes before using...njoii this Khichadi with kadhi...or plain with a spoonful of clarified butter or ghee.

 I am sending this to  Sweet Heat challenge hosted by Food and Football and Baby.
Also sending this to Lets Cook-Rice  event, hosted by Tcikling Palates. 













10 comments:

Aarthi said...

very healthy one

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looking kitchadi

Manasi said...

Khichadi - kadhi is my fav comfort food.. one steaming bowl ( I like to see my khichadi swim in kadhi..hehehe) and I am a happy gal!
I like this version- I hardly use brown rice, mainly because of the cooking time, it takes ages! and sill does not get soft, sigh!

Now I feel like having a bowl of kadhi...and of course the khichadi swimmin in it....

Unknown said...

Ok so.....where is my bowl of kichidi?...its soo gloomy here, feel like making some for myself!...too tempting!

Michelle said...

Khichdi is truly comfort food from the Gods! You have really made me crave some now. When I lived in India we used to have a South Indian version called bisi bele bath, and this really reminds me of those days.

Thank you for entering Sweet Heat Chilli Challege, and please do feel free to link more dishes if you make them :-)

Cheers!

Michelle

Gauri Trivedi said...

I make this khichdi often and am never disappointed in taste or nutrition...great pic..and lovely recipe.

Sudha said...

This is a delicious dish,Ash!Thanks so much for sharing.I have passed on an award to you - please do come over and accept your award.Wish you a very happy New Year:)

http://witwokandwisdom.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweet-n-sour-chilli-chicken-and-award.html

Radhika said...

Khichadi is one of the best comfort foods and thanks for linking it to the event Ash.
Event : Lets’ Cook ~ Rice

Blackswan said...

Thks for sharing this recipe & it's wonderful connecting with u, Ash! Happy 2012!

Join my NiNi Toy Bungee Review & International Giveaway!! now, for your kid or as a gift!

Priya Suresh said...

Wat a healthy and satisfying khichadi..