Tuesday

Sweet Potato Kheer--Ratalyachi Kheer

Diwali, the festival of lights is next week and I have to start the faral preparations . As always, I will start the special week by something sweet....its always something sweet and then the whole savouries follow. I am planning on making baked chakli, that would be my first attempt, I try to prepare one new item every year and this year it is baked chakli. I am planning to make the regular marathi favourite bhajani chakli as well, so Mr. Ash if you are reading this, be assured that your favourite will not be left out.

I am kickstarting the week long preparation by making this simple yet divine kheer, this is usually consumed on fast days, but who said that fast food cannot be eaten on other days. So keeping this in mind I made this kheer. You do not need any ghee or added cream to make it a thick and rich kheer as the starch from the sweet potatoes/ratalya will thicken this kheer

You will need


2 Sweet potatoes/Ratalyi boiled and peeled and mashed.
4 cups Milk-2% + evaporated milk(Using evaporated milk gives it a nice taste, but you can certainly leave that out)
3/4th cup Sugar
Cashews Roasted in ghee-1 Tbspn-Optional, I did not use any.
Saffron Strands
1 tspns Elaichi Powder

Take the milk and evaporated milk in a pot and boil it with sugar.. when it come to a small boil add the nuts and the pulp of the boiled sweet potatoes to it and let cook for abt 10 mins on medium heat. keep stirring as it will not stick to the bottom of the pan..when it all looks cooked and reduced, turn off the heat, Add the saffron and the elaichi powder.... Enjoii with hot pooris or phulkas... or enjoii Chilled on its own.....either ways.. it takes you in a happy place.......

Wishing everyone a Happy Diwali and a Very Prosperous New Year!!!

Sending this to Festive Food Event



Love Ash.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, that is one thing I have not tried with SPs - looks truly yummy! and I love your low fat broccoli soup as well - cheers, priya
Do stop by when you have a moment - Have some wonderful blog giveaways happening on account of my 1st yr blogeversary :)
http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/2011/09/now-serving-turns-one-today-with.html

Manasi said...

Evaporated milk is such a blessing!
Kheer looks great, specially as I cannot see any 'malai' strings anywhere, i dislike them....

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

MMMmmmm....delicious with great flavors..
happy following u..:)
you are welcome in my space too..
Tasty Appetite

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Delicious looking one.

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Delicious looking Kheer....I checked your baking section and loved the cake decorations done...Following your space...

Tina said...

Kheer looks delicious....Following uuuu dear...