Monday

Zucchini Chocolate Cake

Like all moms I am also concerned about the veggies, in my family's diet. We are vegetarians and egg eaters, and my kids are pretty good with eating home cooked food and vegetables. Yet I try to sneak in the veggies in unimaginable places, like this cake for example.

I had read about double chocolate Zucchini cake, and the the moistness of the cake was unmatchable with any normal cakes...and yes that was so true, this cake was truly very light and moist and almost oozing with the juice...The chocolate hides the vegetable so well and   not a soul will know there is actually  a zucchini in this cake.


You will need

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 cups grated zucchini
3/4 cup chopped walnuts--Optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Add the eggs and oil, mix well. Fold in the nuts and zucchini until they are evenly distributed. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting with your favorite frosting.

I do not frost cakes unless there is some occassion calling for the butter and sugar, so simply dusted the cake with some confectioners sugar to make it fancy for the picture.

**I twisted the recipe for the oil, by using lesser than asked for. I did make only half the recipe and still it was very decent size cake for a family of four plus few friends. I am posting the entire recipe for everyone's ease, so enjoy and make this cake.

I am sending this entry top HCC-Healthy cooking event.

Love Ash.







7 comments:

Square Meals said...

Looks yumm!!

Unknown said...

sounds heavenly!...irresistable! :)

Manasi said...

I'd heard of this cake, sounds simple and looks delicious!
I'll keep it on my list:)

Radhika said...

Hey that's a nice one. only I don't get zuchinni here.

Tina said...

lovely chocolate cake...

Neha said...

this looks like a lovely recipe...perfect for my picky little eater...

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

u have a nice space dear..loved the cake recipes..looks awesome n beautiful too........happy to visit here...

maha