Monday

Malai Powder Mava Modak Peda



Hello Dearies!!! We celebrated Ganpati Bappa for 5 days. I tried making prasad for 3 days. Day 1 I made Ukdiche Modak, Day 2 I made Sheera and Day 4 I made These Pedas. I was invited for the aarti and puja at my dear friends home. I took these along for prasad. The kids had  a blast eating these and declared they were better than the store brought. Ideally the recipe said use Khoya or fresh mava, But I could not find fresh mava that I liked at my regular grocery store, so I replaced the fresh with dry mava powder. The texture is not dry like peda but creamy like  a barfi. Make them for Ganpati bappa today. It's only day 6 or the 10 day celebrations. 

You will need;
2 cups Mava Powder
1 Cup Confectioner Powder
1/2 Milk

1 tspn Cardamom Powder

1 tbspn Everest Milk Masala- Optional--** Substitute with almond and pistachio powder--Optional
1 Tsp Clarified butter
little yellow food color-Optional

In a wok, heat the ghee, then add the milk/mava powder and the milk and stir well and cook on low heat till the mixture gets well incorporated, add the milk masala, cardamom/dry almond pista powder and stir well and cook till the mixture starts collecting on the spoon. cooking this in a non stick would work well. Turn off the heat. add in the confectioners sugar, mix well till the sugar mixture gets incorporated. add in the yellow food color and mix well.Cool the mixture for about 5-6 hours. Take a teaspoon of the mix and roll out small pedas or shape them into modaks. I d not have the mold to make these pedas so I shaped them with my hand.

Ganpati Bappa Morya!!!! Mangal moorti Morya!!!

Sharing this with 'Walk Through Memory Lane', brainchild of Gayathri of Gayathri's Cook Spot, guest hosted by Smitha's Spicy Flavors. 
and with EZCookbook guest hosting Prasad event of Surabhi's My Cookbook announcement page.









Photobucket

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Sooo cute sweeties :)

Latest Step by Step Recipe-Murg Malai Kabab | Chicken Kababs

Balvinder said...

By mava powder you mean, "Khoya" that we get from sweet stores. I mean I get curious when I don't see flour in any recipe.

Ezcookbook said...

You have a very nice collection of recipes..Happy to follow you!!! check out our Ongoing event - Prasadam Special...

Unknown said...

@ Balvinder,
yes I meant khoya we get in our stores, But I am not sure of its freshness so opted to use the packed and sealed mava powder.
Love Ash.

great-secret-of-life said...

the modak looks perfect
Great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

Radhika said...

whew! you make the dishes sound so simple to make! guess u have a regular reader in me already:)

Unknown said...

lovely click and yummy modak...you made it very simple witn instant products......thanks for linking up to the event...

Priya Suresh said...

Incredible and super cute modaks.

Unknown said...

Delicious Modaks... Happy to follow you... You can link this to my on-going Vinayagar Chathurthi event..

Inviting you to join my on-going events :-

Natural Sweetness Event with White Sugar

Vinayagar Chathurthi Event

Cheers,
Sharanya
Sharans Samayalarai

Manasi said...

How did I miss this? or did my comment not go thru? I know I wrote.. maybe it jumbled at the word verif. stage :( (oh how I dislike that word verif., grrrrrr.)
Ash, I wondered if that mava powder will stay if kept in the freezer... I cannot see myself using a full packet and so have never had the nerve to buy it.
Of course, i'd never say no to pedha! I love them :)