Monday

Sooji halwa/Sheera for Satyanarayan Katha Prasad


Satyanarayn Katha prasad
If you remember how much my family loves the "nehmicha sheera", the usual satyanarayan prasad sheera, I realized that I had posted the Pineapple Sooji Halwa/sheera recipe, but had not yet posted the Sooji Halwa or sheera recipe yet. So without any more delay, here it goes. My mom is the sheera maker for any puja that we have at home or in my close family. Her Sheera is still not matched by the young chefs around, or as we say, we never try and compete with the master.

You will need;
1 and 1/2 cup of sooji/ semolina/ cream of wheat, **I prefer Coarse sooji than fine sooji.
1 and 1/2 cup sugar
3 cups mixture of milk and water or use milk wholly.
6-8 tbspns Ghee-Clarified butter
1 cup sugar
1 Over Ripe Banana-Mashed
1 tsp Elaichi or Cardamom Powder
1 tbspn Cashew nuts-Optional
1tbspn Raisins Optional
few Saffron strands-Optional

-In a pan/wok, heat the ghee over medium or low flame and then add the sooji, roast the sooji stirring continuously, till the sooji changes colour and the aroma fills the house. Add in the mashed banana aad continue roasting for 2-3 minutes.Simultaneously boil the milk+water mixture and once boiled, add the milk+water mixture and continue stirring...the sooji will be slightly wet, cover for 2-3 minutes, taking care that the sooji is not getting burnt, if needed reduce the time to about 1.5 to 2 minutes. After this add in the sugar  and stir well, the mixture will be wet now, cover and lower the flame to low and cook for 5-7 minutes. Then add the saffron, elaichi and the raisins. Serve hot or cold. It's yummy either way.

This is  a staple at my home with my kids, anytime I am lost on what to make for lunch, school lunch or simply when I crave for some comfort food. I make it when I am feeling sad, unhappy or when I just cannot control my happiness.




Try and let me know, how your family likes this. A traditional fix at most Indian homes.

Love Ash.

8 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Never says no to this irresistible halwa..

Gauri Trivedi said...

Yummy Sheera..looks tasty!

Square Meals said...

Love the presentation..it's such a lovely dish :-)

Unknown said...

my fav....lovely click!

Manasi said...

Aaah! Satyanarayan sheera evokes nostalgia! The warmth, the perfect taste, everything about the whole 'prasad' thing is heart warming and the firm belief that prasad is always perfect!
Lovely!

Tina said...

Beautifu clicks and halwa..

Kavi said...

love the sheera! :)

-
Kavi
(Edible Entertainment)

Amila said...

yummy !!& nice presentation...
Thanks a lot for linking with Midweek Fiesta