Monday

Red and Pink Paratha's- Beetroot aloo parathas/flatbread.



Today we are going to make another fast and quick lunch box item. It is very common in most Indian homes to have the kneaded dough/atta in the fridge. Roti making is not a chore, but a part of everyday activity like setting the table. I had a very hectic week at work so making the whole nine yards of dinner with roti, subji, dal and rice and salad was a bit too much so I made a combo of roti and subji in one. I made these twice and my kids enjoyed it with sour cream and ketchup. My kids call it pink and red parathas. What's in the name I ask you!!!

Hope you make them today, as I do not know any better way of making my kids enjoy and eat beets without any drama.

For the stuffing;
1 cup potato powder
1/4th cup grated boiled beetroot
2-3 leaves sage- Since I have fresh herbs I used sage.
water if needed to mix/bind the potato powder
salt to taste
1tspn Garam masala

Mix the dry potato powder and grated beetroot, garam masala and salt, then add the sage and water  from the boiled beets, if needed to make it into a soft pliable dough. Keep aside.




For cover; 1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tspn salt
1 tbspn oil
water as needed to knead into a soft dough
In a bowl, mix the oil and salt and water and knead into a soft pliable dough.


Making the parathas,
1. Make equal size balls of the cover and stuffing
2. Roll a small round of the cover and put the stuffing in it and fold from all sides and roll that in some flour, dust the rolling surface with some flour and
3. Roll into a small round roti or paratha.





Heat a pan/skillet/tawa and roast it on both sides applying little oil or ghee on it . When it gets cooked, serve with yogurt/pickle/ketchup or sour cream.





Photobucket

9 comments:

julie said...

Vibrant crimson color of parathas,Yummy n healthy parathas!!
Join me(Erivum Puliyum)
in the following ongoing events-
Show me Your HITS -Iron Rich Foods
EP Series-Ginger or Pepper Corns

Unknown said...

Very nutritious parathas.

hotpotcooking said...

Yum paratha

Unknown said...

they really have a beautiful color!...i am sure they taste wonderful too!

Manasi said...

Sage! Sounds wonderful!
I have never tried sage ( unless it has a Marathi/ Hindi name and I have used it )
I tried to get S to eat beet once, in a raita, buried under yogurt, little tyke saw and declared war on me!
I too disguise veges now ;)

Lavanya said...

lovely parathas ash :)
Please Join Me
Be My Guest With A Guest Post

Tina said...

delocious and colourful paratha...

Priya Suresh said...

Super catchy and healthy pink parathas,am loving it.

Blackswan said...

Just back from a blogging trip in Malaysia. How have u been, my dear?

U're such a genius, mixing beet with paratha :) Must've tasted good. I'll be back for more....