Thursday

Kuch khatta kuch mitha kuch tikha instant Amla Achaar





Catchy Title..what say!! But today's post is all about this sweet,salty and spicy pickle made with frozen amla/gooseberries. Few Days back, I was joined into a foodie group on Facebook by Samta of Mera kitchen fame. I read this pickle posted by Vidya Tai. This was so easy and it did bring back tons of memories from my childhood. My Mom stayed in an apt building in  a suburb in Mumbai. IF you have ever visited Mumbai, you would know what I am saying. The house are so small and cramped and except for the walls dividing the apartments, we practically live together with our neighbors. Just that we have doors and locks to keep us separated. But any major discussion in anyone home can be heard by the next wall neighbor, The same can be said with any fights debates going on. One of my lovely neighbors was a manglorean lady who made south Indian food at her home. we thought anyone one who made idli/dosa and sambar regularly was a South Indian. Our food knowledge was limited to that. I blame the lack of science and technology for my ignorance. Anyways, this maushi as we called her, made this pickle almost all times she heard me yell or cry or have a food fight with my mom. Within minutes she was there with a small bowl of this for me. They say when your family is far, your neighbors become your family. Her sons were teenagers then, and she was also much older than my mom. Like a angel guardian, she used to take over me and relive my mom from the fights. Sitting on her lap hearing stories about her village, I ate my food with this pickle. This is one pickle that I cannot forget and thanks to Vidya Tai, I made it again after many many years.



You will need;
1 packet frozen amlas/gooseberries-- approx 10-12 pieces. I quartered them into 4 pieces and removed the seed.
Thawed them and dried them on  a cotton washcloth for 3-4 hours.

Tempering;
3-4 tbspn Oil
2 tspn mustard/rai seeds
1 tspn Jeera/cumin seeds
1 tspn Fenugreek/Methi seeds
2 tspn Red Cayenne powder--This medium heat, increase if you like it hot
1 tspn Turmeric/Haldi
3 tbspn jaggery or brown sugar
Salt if needed

In a wok, heat the oil on medium, add in the mustard seeds, let it splutter. Then add the jeera, and methi seeds, Then  reduce the heat to low, add the red cayenne powder, haldi and jaggery. Let the jaggery melt and then add the amla pieces. Stir well and heat for 5-6 minutes. Once cooled, Store in an airtight glass bottle. Refrigerate and use as needed. Since this is an instant pickle made from Frozen gooseberries, it is best saved in a Fridge and care should be taken that you never put wet spoons in the bottle.


This pickle tastes good with dal-rice, dos/parathas or as is.



Sending this to  Kirthi's serve-it preserved event hosted by ohtastenseeblog











Also sending it to Sangees Show me your hits Event guest hosted bu Julie of EP fame












Photobucket





14 comments:

Square Meals said...

Love Amla pickle..yours looks yummyyyy :-)

Aparna

Unknown said...

since fresh amlas are rare to get...its good that we can make this will frozen ones!...looks yummy!

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Lovely pickle and a very beautifully written post.

Manasi said...

My dear Ajji made avla oncha, marathi way, I love it, as I love all pickles!
Neighbors are such an integral part of our Mumbai/ Indian lives, aren't they!
We (Indians) have perfect saying, it takes a village to raise a child,or bertter, mula bajunchan kade vadhtat!! ask any of us, we will nod our yes!

anjana said...

healthy and delicious sweet and sour pickle..will try your version soon..

Julie said...

Love that tangy sweet pickle,Ash!! Tempting..
You can link it to the event iron rich foods too as Amla is iron rich too !!

khushi said...

oooo amla pickle......my mouth is watering already!!

hotpotcooking said...

amla pickle looks mouthwatering

Seema said...

Very tasty and Good for health too...

chef and her kitchen said...

just love amla pickle...yummy

Achu's Amma's Kitchen said...

yummy spicy pickle

Priya Suresh said...

Slurp, salivating here.

Blackswan said...

Hey Ash, u eat Achar too? I'm surprised. Archar is very popular in S'pore. I'm impressed that u can make one :)

Shivali said...

loncha looks mouthwatering.Never tried one with frozen amla.Aai use to make it with fresh amla in India.This looks perfect.