Monday

Gulab Jamun-Ricotta Cheese bites


Gulab Jamun need no introduction, they are found on almost all Indian Buffets..and all Indian grocery stores carry canned versions of these pieces of sheer pleasure, simple heaven, where the Khoya or mava or cheese balls are dipped and floating in sugar syrup, it's  a match made in heaven. finding pure khoya or mava in US was a hunt when I was newbie here, my friends made the gulab jamun for ready to make kits.. so there was some relief but somehow the texture and the taste from back home never matched. The hunt for perfect Gulab jamun initiated many discussions with fellow food bloggers, one such was with Ms. Spiceroots and that was my lucky day..she said she could lead me the almost perfect recipe for the most awaited sweet.. almost because there was still no pure mava or gulab jamun khoya.

Without any pestering, she showed me the way and like a sheep I followed my Shepherd to the path of ending all misery and dancing in the sugary sweetness.

You will need;

For the entire step by step approach go here

But since I want you to make them ASAP I will give you the shopping list

15 oz pack whole milk Ricotta

Milk Powder [about 200 gms)
Oil for frying – 1Cup

Sugar syrup/Chashni
4 cups sugar
4 cups water
a few strands of saffron crushed
1/4 tsp powdered cardamom

for the rest of the recipe Visit Ms. Spiceroots as per the link above....

**I followed her recipe to the T", still the mixture I had was little wet, so I added in some All Purpose Flour till the mixture was no longer wet, and then let it rest under a damp kitchen towel for about 15-20 minutes.

Alternate way to make Gulab Jamun using the ready to mix pack is;

1 ready to make Gulab Jamun mix..I use Chitale's, which is very easy to find in NJ, if not then use MTR or GITS...
add the ricotta cheese to the powder instead of water as needed.. start adding little by little till you have a soft dough which if poked springs back and does not stick to the bowl that you are mixing it in...make small balls and see if any cracks appear on them...if not then you are set for the frying...
After frying the balls dip them in the sugar syrup and you are all set to dig in...


Thank you Square Meals for this award; My VERY FIRST AWARD..




I would like to Share this award with
Manasi@http://acookatheart.blogspot.com/
Smitha @http://smithasspicyflavors.blogspot.com/
Khushi @ A Girls Diary
Ms. Chitchat @ http://chitchatcrossroads.blogspot.com/
Ansh @ Spiceroots

'Liebster' means favourite or dearest in German. Rules for accepting the award :
- Thank the person who gave the award and link back to their blog.
- Copy and paste the award to your blog.
- Reveal the 5 blogs you have chosen to award and let them know by commenting on their blog.
- Hope they pass it forward by accepting and awarding it to bloggers
 they would like to honour.

I am also Sending this to Julie's event, Christmas Delicacy and Radhika's Lets Cook Mughal cuisine











Life is sweet,
Love Ash.


Thanks Amy for the award on your monthly Food of the month contest. I truly appreciate this. Loads of good wishes coming your way.

Love Ash.

10 comments:

Julie said...

Delicious n lovely innovative idea with ricotta cheese..I too prepared burfi with ricotta ,worked good,will try this soon,bookmarked!!
Do try n participate in the
Ongoing Event- Christmas Delicacy(15Nov-31Dec 2011)

Manasi said...

Oh look at those golden balls of pure happiness! U made me smile!

Believe it or not, I was thinking of making these just yesterday!
but what with moving I am planning it for the new home~!

Unknown said...

Gulab Jamuns - one of my all time favorite desserts. Infact, I had one for breakfast this morning........couldn't resist it when I opened the refrigerator !!!!! Your pic is making me drool again.

Reshmi Mahesh said...

I just love this....and urs look perfect...

Ms.Chitchat said...

Omg,gorgeous gulab jamuns. Loved the idea of adding ricotta to the readymix. Bookmarked and thanks for sharing. Btw,thanks a ton for the award too :):)

Kavi said...

I love that 1st pic! makes me wana jump right into the comp screen! :D

Amila said...

Looks so tasty & nice clicks too...Thanks for sending to my event...

Midweek Fiesta @every Wednesday

Unknown said...

those are winner jamuns :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe. I made them using Chitale Mix and Riccota cheese. Fried them in clarified butter. Awesome zhale.
Gautami

Unknown said...

With ricotta cheese in it these must be so soft and sweet. Perfectly browned !