Saturday

Orange Tango Cake-Celebrating the 100th Post of year 2012.

Hello Sweeties!!! This is an awesome year. I have achieved newer goals that I never dared to set for myself. I mean this is my 100th post for year 2012. 2012 What an year it was!!! This was the year that will go down in my memory lane and mark itself as one of life changing years. I became ME in this year. I made few but very good friends many of whom I have not yet met, some I knew from some time and finally met them. All in all a very satisfying year for my self esteem. People always think that if you blog, you have ample free time, just like they assume a stay at home mom sits at home, watches TV all day and its always, Oh!! You can do it you have time, me I have no time.. I am so BUSY!!!! Time as I say is subjective, if I want I can!!!!

No more rants and if I got you thinking if I am not posting anything for year 2012, be assured that it ain't happening. I am feeling very positive and certain about a steady posting routine. I had decided of trying to do 6-8 posts per month, which was one of my resolutions for year 2012. I also decided that if its not something never done before, it is not making an appearance on indulge. I think I kept my word fairly well and I have brought to you some new, some old refurbished dishes from my humble kitchen to yours.

This year is also more important as it marked my 10th year in USA. A decade went by when I first landed to this foreign land which soon became a part of my life. I initially felt like a tree was uprooted and re-planted in a foreign soil. The roots would never be as strong as before. But again I was proved wrong, as my family, my life and my values shaped up here. My life has become richer as I am counted as one amongst them here. The freedom to praise my religion, values and beliefs is what had been a great gift from this land to my life. I am a proud Indian American today. I feel proud when my kids celebrate July 4th, with Diwali and Christmas in the same spirit.

No Celebration is ever complete with a cake. To mark something important, I wanted to try a new recipe. Mr. Ash likes the Lemon cake in Starbucks, so I replaced the lemon with oranges. I also used fresh squeezed orange juice, so I needed to add the TANG juice mix. I found addding the TANG not only enhaced the flavor but also adde dthe tangy effect and color to the cake. Tha glaze is from the fresh juice and also the TANG powder.

You will need;
1.5 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Wheat Flour
1 cup sugar
1/3rd cup oil
1 egg
1 cup Fresh Orange juice mixed with 3 tbsp TANG powder
1 tbspn Zest of the orange skin
1 tspn ENO-fruit salt
** Baking powder substitute.
1/2 tspn Salt
Milk if needed- Optional
** I did not need any milk.

Glaze;
 3 tbspn Cnfectioner sugar
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1 tbspn TANG Powder

Sift the flours with salt, keep aside. Cream the egg, sugar and oil, then add in the orange juice with tang powder. Slowly add the sifted flour, and keep beating on low till the batter looks smooth with no lumps. Add the ENO (baking powder substitute), Stir once. Grease the cake tin well, line with a brown paper bag( Substitute for a parchment paper). In a preheated oven at 350Degrees F, bake the cake for about 25-30 minutes or till the skewer comes out clean. After it cools,( Prepare the glaze, mix the confectioner sugar with the TANG and the juice.) pour the glaze over the cake. Enjoy the cake. I baked a Medium Loaf pan and 6 cupcakes with this amount of cake batter.


** Whipped Cream icing can be made by using simply Heavy Whipping Cream and Conf Sugar,, The Rec is as
Follows..
One Cup heavy Whipping Cream
Half Cup Conf Sugar
**One packet Instant pudding mix. OR IF desired One Packet Unflavored Gelatin dissolved in water.-- OPTIONAL
 
Take a bigger bowl and keep some ice cubes in that.. Over the cubes place anr bowl. Take one cup cream and add sugar and Pudding mix( if needed )... and beat with electric mixer for about 5-7 mins on medium till soft peaks are on the blade. The icing is ready.
 
I decorated one cupcake with a Royal icing flower and whipped cream icing and made it extra special for my darling nephew. Hope you have a great and fun birthday and may God bless you with everything. Happy Birthday my dear Adu!!! We love you!!!!

Photobucket

9 comments:

Prathima Rao said...

Yummmm..Looks good!!! Fab idea of addding tang..Must try it..
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

Heartiest Congratulations!
Am so Happy to know that you have become your own person in this last year. As rightly said, a blog is not an outsome of boredom, but more an outlet for creativity and talent. Only a passionate and talented person can churn out something new and creative, weave a beautiful story from memories amd present it to the whole world. You ahve been doing a great job Ash and wish to see you in this Blog worls for many many years to come. All the Best!

great-secret-of-life said...

Yummy and moist cake
http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.sg

divya said...

wow... fabulous looking cake...

Manasi said...

What a tempting loaf! Tang in a cake, new to me and a lovely f u have some left, eat it and keep me in mind :)
I am celebrating ur 100th. post with u :)
Don't give the moral police a thought, they just cast stones, I bet they are not too clean either!

Square Meals said...

Awesome. Congrats Ash :-)

Aparna

Easy (EZ) Editorial Calendar said...

Yummy yummy!!! looks soft!!!

Did you get a chance to check the website www.ezedcal.com/ta to manage editorial calendar easily for your blog and show your editorial calendar in your blog easily (optional)
Thanks & Regards
Malar

Blackswan said...

I'm back from my vacation! Congrats on your success in blogging & it's great knowing u! May u have many more to come, my dear friend. xoxo

Priya Suresh said...

Quite a droolworthy cake,interesting addiciton of tang powder..Congrats on celebrating ur 100th post.Way to go gal.