Thursday

Baingan Bharta-Vangyache Bharit-Eggplant Mush

Hello hello hello!!! I am back from a small vacation to the beach. After many years of running away and finding excuses to not get in the water, I finally had to give in. We are a bunch of super excited friends, who make such plans like renting condos on the beach or camping in truly American style, Although I am not so sure of how I do qualify in the excited group, as I get tired watching other person run, jog or even throw a pitch. I am a set of laziest bones I have come across. I mean why stress with packing unpacking cleaning the sand off the clothes and toys, when you can just relax by couching in the nice cold A/C living room. But no longer, I guess the laziness is shedding and I am getting to enjoy the rush of the waves and floating in salty water just as much as them.

I am blessed with a few but very nice friends, who not only care for me, but also correct me without hesitation. I do not have to tell them if I had a bad day or bad week. If Mr. Ash is traveling and am a single parent, I automatically get food dropped off at my home. No Gift is better than food gift on  a tiring day. This dish is one of such gift that I received from my friend K. She made this bharta or eggplant mush, not by roasting but cooking the eggplant in  a pressure cooker. This technique was obviously new for me, that I had to get the exact recipe from her. Mr. Ash loves eggplant mush, but the mess roasting the eggplant makes on the gas range pushes me off from making it. I tried broiling it covered in foil, roasting it in the oven, but the taste is never there. Ultimately I stopped making this. Until, K introduced me to this way of making the mush. When I ate it the first time, the eggplant was so soft and it almost melted in my mouth; I sincerely doubted if it was eggplant that she used or something else. So if that someone who dislikes eggplant is listening, do make this once for me.


You will need;
1 Medium eggplant - get the fatter and slightly bigger eggplant from the market; not the small ones or long thin ones.
1 small tomato diced
1 small onion finely chopped
1 tspn each ginger and garlic paste or chopped very fine
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
1 tsp mix of cumin and coriander powder
salt to taste
1/2 tspn Sugar optional

Tempering
1 tbspn oil
1/2 mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric/haldi
pinch of hing/ aesofodita

In a cooker vessel, peel and chop the eggplant into dices and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. cool and mush around. In a wok, heat the oil, add the tempering ingredients one after the other, once the seeds sizzle, add the onions and fry for a couple of minutes till they sweat, then add the tomatoes, ginger and garlic and let the mix cook, till oil starts separating from the sides. Then add in the eggplant mush, Garam masala, Cayenne pepper powder and salt and sugar if needed. Let the mix cook till the mush and the masala gets incorporated, cover with lid and cook for 2-3 minutes. Garnish with onions and cilantro. I like to add a dash of lemon juice while eating, but again it's completely up to you. We have had this as  a dip with some pita chips like a Babaganoush, or even as a filing in a wrap. Personally, I love this with simple varan bhat tup mith and limbu( Translated as rice, dal, ghee, salt and lime)



Photobucket

10 comments:

hotpotcooking said...

Yum gravy.

Ansh said...

I have never made this in cooker. I will try it too :)

Manasi said...

Hahahahaha!!!! That line got my attention! If I am the one/ among those who dislike(s) eggplant, I hear you, loud and clear! Thanx Ash! Even if I do not want to eat it, will make it for M if he wants me to :)

Unknown said...

@Ansh, Pressure cooking it mad eit easy for me.

@ Manasi;
Great catch girl, Indian cricket team will do good with you on board. pet bhi full aur score bhi full. Punn tu ekds tari try kar, mush la hand blender madhun blend kar...samajnar nahi vange khate aahes te.
Love Ash.

Square Meals said...

Hey Ash, good to know that you had a lovely vacation.
This is totally new to me too. I thought bhartha had to made by roasting the eggplant.

Aparna

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

Hi,
Good to know you had a lovely vacation and enjoyed the water!
Love vangyache bharit with this cooking twist!
Do drop a visit to my blog as well!

Anusha said...

Ash this s an all time favorite for me.. love to dunk my phulkas smeared with ghee into some bhartha.. you ve made me crave for a big fat aubergine now!!

Priya Suresh said...

Glad you have lovely vacation, bharta with baingan is always my fav food.

Blackswan said...

I like eggplant a lot & they're so healthy. Honestly, I've never tried eating or cooking it this way. Interesting!

Balvinder said...

My daughter and husband loves camping. She even put up tent in our backyard every year and camp at least once every summer. Its good that you are enjoying the outside environment more and shedding laziness. Come here I will take you to outdoor exercise or grouse grind which I do every week. Its really good.

Now coming to your bharta, actually in India we also sometimes softened it in pressure cooker if not sure of the worms inside. It does melt in your mouth.