Sunday

Poached Egg Curry


My elder munchkin and myself love eggs in all forms, be it half fried, sunny side up or scrambled, we love it. Not so much for Mr. Ash and the younger munchkin. They run away form eggs and their sight. But this si one curry that they both also love to dig in with us and making it  a battle for the curry in Ashland. They start with comparing the bowls and measuring tablespoons for each. Weird I know, we all are weird when it comes to food. We are smart in choosing our battles well. And yes for your information, 4 Year olds can put a defense so well that if I put it on you tube it will spread like virus on FB.

This is one and only egg curry that is family approved in Ashland. Mr.Ash probably like sit because it has coconut milk and that make this curry unique. I make this on the nights when Mr. Ash travels for work and I am alone with kids for diner. IT was NOT intentional that it happened when it did make an appearance but it was a rough day at work and I was tired to the bone to whip up a cool dinner to make daddy's absence a little less. So I had made it a couple of times and it happened to be on those days that Mr. Ash was traveling. Doe sit seem like I am giving reasons, well I try!!!

He had heard so many things about this curry that he requested that I kindly make it for him. I did try keeping the eggs out and using the base curry with potatoes or veggies, but it does not taste even closer so do not do what I did and use eggs.

Prep time; 5-7 mins
Cook Time : 10- 15 mins
Serves 4

You will need;
4-5 eggs
2-3 tbsp Fried onion-- I buy from the Indian store.
2 Big Tomatoes finely diced
2-3 cloves Garlic- crushed
1/2 inch ginger- grated
2 tbspn Thick coconut milk-- canned is great, which I use
2 cupsWater to thin out the gravy and cook the eggs.
1 tspn garam masala
1 tspn red chili powder
1 tspn Cumin and coriander powder
Salt to taste
Cilantro to garnish

Tempering;
1 tspn Oil-- (Fried onion have Oil)
1 tspn Shahjeera/caraway seeeds
1 Green Chili-Slit-Optional

In a wok, heat the oil for tempering on medium heat, add the shajeera and let that sizzle, then add the crushed gloves of garlic and ginger and saute for a minute, then add the onions and the tomatoes and let them cook til the mixture gets cooked and oil starts leaving the sides of the pan, then add the cumin-coriander powder and the red chili powder and add salt, mix well and add the water. Bring this to a small boil and keep stirring. Taste the curry for salt and chili and add if it needs more. Reduce the heat to low and break open the egg in a separate bowl, reason being that if the egg is spoiled, you can discard it and get afresh one. If you directly open it in the pan it will spoil the entire curry. Now start pouring the egg diagonally from each other and do it till you have completed  a circle (if suing 5-6 eggs) of shape X ( if using 4 eggs) of the eggs.

After adding all the 4-5 eggs, cover the pan and let them cook in the boiling water. DO NOT stir the mixture and shake if needed. The eggs will cook in 5-6 minutes and then open the lid. IF needed cook for anr 2-3 minutes. Lastly add the coconut milk and cilantro for garnish and let that simmer for additional 3-4 minutes. The poached egg curry is ready for you to dig in with rice, bread or roti. We are dunkers, so we grab  a slice of bread and dunk it in.



This is a simple yet comforting meal after a tired day or sad day. IT instantly relaxes you and the spices create a happy place.

Sadaf of Culinary adventures has shared an awesome award with me.



'Liebster' means favourite or dearest in German. Rules for accepting the award :
- Thank the person who gave the award and link back to their blog.
- Copy and paste the award to your blog.
- Reveal the 5 blogs you have chosen to award and let them know by commenting on their blog.
- Hope they pass it forward by accepting and awarding it to bloggers
they would like to honour.

Since I cannot be choosy and pick my 5 fav bloggers, this is to all my followers and readers, who have stood by me with their love and affection.

Photobucket

10 comments:

Manasi said...

I cannot pretend I like this one..sorry, am a No eggs person, But, I do like the gravy, Specially as it calls for just 2 T coconut milk ( I like c. milk when it gives a subtle hint,not when a can needs to be emptied!) and I have never ( at least not in recent memory)used Shahjeera, I like it and this gravy can taste great with dumplings!

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looking curry Ash lovely side dish

Blackswan said...

My family loves eggs but I've never tried egg curry. This is something new for me. Yummy!

Unknown said...

the gravy sounds delicious!...i havent tried poaching eggs...I mostly use hard boiled for gravies like this...i should try it this way sometime!

Amila said...

Looks so delicious & I like this thick gravy....
Hot & Spicy Treats –Festive Food

Square Meals said...

Hi Ash,

Interesting recipe. Will definitely try it.

Aparna from Square Meals

Teena said...

Nice recipe with a rich gravy!!! Congrats on your award and thanks for sharing with all of us :)

Julie said...

Lovely thick gravy,yummy yum!!
Please contribute your entries (old or new )EP Series-Cilantro /Cumin Event

Erivum Puliyum

Anzz said...

We normally do not have eggs poached, but this recipe would be perfect for an omlette curry too. The flavors are great..!

Amisha said...

I am going to try this on the weekend!..love how it looks
Amisha