Friday

Beetroot Raita/Beetroot in Yogurt Dip/Beetachi Koshimbir

Welcome to the wonderful world of beets. I am sorry my dear beet, that I did not like your shabby appearance and poor tail when I was growing up. I am also sorry that when stared at you for long I thought of you as a small mouse waiting to be thrown out of the window. I also did not like the stains you gave my shirt with your brilliant magenta color. I disliked you so much that I vowed that the day I have my own kitchen and liberty to make my rules you would be exiled from my land. I apologize for the thoughts, but I was immature then.Now that I have grown up, I am much more mature than I was. I took time to  listen to you, look beyond the appearance and appreciate the goodness in your little body. Now that I have come to love you, promise me to be with me and not leave my land and be a friend foreever.

I use beets in pavbahji, cutlets, parathas and now even will make a  cake with it. I am in love with you, Mr. Beet. ( also Mr. Ash and my munchkins.) But my affair with beets is totally on a separate page. I try to eat beets at least twice  a week, to get nice color to my blood and also my cheeks, well..that's what my momma told me. How do you eat your beets??

Prep time; 5 mins if you have boiled  OR canned beets
Serves 2

You will need;
1/2 cup boiled beet- diced
1 cup yogurt beaten well
salt to taste
Cilantro to garnish

Tempering;
1 tsp ghee/clarified butter
1 medium hot green chili
pinch of hing/Aesafodita

In a bowl, take the diced boiled beets, and add yogurt. mix and keep aside. In a small pot, heat the ghee and add the chili and hing. Let it splutter for 2 secs and aroma fill the air. Pour this over the beet-yogurt mix. Add salt and mix well. Garnish with cilantro. This is an easy raita and dip that goes well with rice/phulka/ roti or just as is.


Photobucket

10 comments:

hotpotcooking said...

Colorful and healthy raitha

Anjali Bapna Shukla said...

I seriously loved that pink color in the raita...just so beautiful without any added colors!!
I need to start an event on 'Yogurt/Raita' now. :))

Event : Cakes, Cookies and Desserts

Aarthi said...

This looks totally delicious..I would love to try this..Bookmarked.

Aarthi
http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

Sensible Vegetarian said...

I love beets raita and yours look so beautiful.

Manasi said...

Do u remember the beet slices (raw) they'd add in Mumbai Sandwich? That annoyed me, but then I realized, beets are great! I love the slightly sweet taste and the vibrant color!
Love the raita, what a gorgeous pink!

Only Fish Recipes said...

wow...love the color....never tried beetrrot in raita before...will surely love to try this out :-)

Spicy-Aroma said...

wow..this looks so colorful..yummy koshimbir..happy to follow u..do visit my space to in your free time!!:)
Kande Pohe

chef and her kitchen said...

love the color of beetroot in raita..its yum

simran said...

lovely raita.......really nice space that you have.....i have "liked"the fb page...i couldnt find the gfc..so following you through fb:)

Blackswan said...

Pink is one of my fave colours, Ash! Looks flavourful! Have a good week, dear!