Tuesday

Nankhatayi


Nankhatayi means 6 ingredient fix.. I had read some time back that Nankhatyi was  a Persian Delicacy and not an Indian origin...when Perisans settled in Surat, Gujarat of India, they made these biscuits local and a part of Indian food ever since.

Indian homes seldom have ovens at home.. I still remember there was this bakery called Persian Bakery where my mom lives.. it is still there and has catered the same items to it's loyal customer over more than 40 yrs now....they would bake the cookies and cakes at nominal charges.. I was always in awe of other moms ( and even a little jealous of their kids) who would make and prep the cookies at home and carry it to this bakery and get home boxes of goodies..those were such times.. now everything has changed,, globalization and modern means have reached even remote places and Indian food has gone changes and even adopted grilling and baking as means for cooking food...

Coming back to my version of Nankhatyi...i.e 6 item fix biscuits is
Shortening-1/2 cup
Sugar- 2/3rd cup
Whole Wheat Flour- 2/3rd cup
Elaichi or Cardamom Powder--1 Tspn
Milk-2 Tbspn
Sooji-1/2 cup
Eno or Baking powder- 1 Tspn
Nuts/ Saffron strands--Optional

Preheat oven to 375 Degrees.. then cream shortening and sugar till it is light and fluffy.. add milk and cream with Hand again..( I like the effect the shortening leaves after I wash my hands).....Add ENO or bkg powder to the flour and sooji mix.. then add the flour to the creamed mix.. add elaichi and knead into soft dough... You can add saffron strands or nuts or both and roll about 18-20 small balls...of about one tsbspn dough each.. Line the baking tray with parchment paper and bake for 12-14 mins till they turn slightly brown.

cool and store in a airtight container and enjoy anytime...

Till I bake again,
Love Ash.

1 comment:

Vrushali said...

Ash ...again a gr8 recipe ...they look perfect ...1 of item in my faral this diwali :)